Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Tuesday 3 December 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

On Saturday I was honoured and privileged to be included - for the second year - in hosting a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner.

It is a big event which focuses largely on food. Really! We had +- 50 people and 4x turkeys! Plus sweet potatoes, potato bakes, green bean casserole, about 6 salads, stuffing, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple pie, breads, cheeses, cranberry sauce and and and. Very indulgent and delicious. But more than that it is about community. Coming together with like-minded people and sharing and supporting each other and giving thanks for the rich blessing we ALL have in our lives.


It really was a fabulous event in a stunning setting (A's new house in upper Fresnaye) with stunning views over the sea, mountains and Robben Island.
Life is indeed good!


During last week I took some time to reflect on thanksgiving and what I have to be thankful and grateful for and these were my thoughts...

Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse. ~ Henry Van Dyke 

Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough. ~ Oprah Winfrey 

Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.  ~Native American Saying

Thanksgiving is possible only for those who take time to remember; no one can give thanks who has a short memory.  ~Author Unknown


I am grateful for all my opportunities.

The opportunity to be a parent, and friend, to my amazingly bright, capable, independent and caring children. Who have enriched my life and given me a lot of fun and love.

I am thankful to have connections with people who fill my heart and soul, and allow me to FEEL. Since feelings – both good and bad - give life richness and texture and inspiration.

The opportunity to have a job I love. Working with people I genuinely like, and with a successful and productive team.  I am grateful that my job allows me to be stimulated and to feel valued and worthwhile and also gives me the means to support my interests and to pursue my life goals.

The opportunity to travel and explore the world and see new places and experience sights, sounds, tastes and textures. To climb mountains, ride elephants, swim in oceans and all and everything in between.

I am grateful for being alive and well and living in such a breathtakingly beautiful part of the world. To be able to hike, run, cycle and swim in awesome natural beauty which is right on our door step!

I am thankful to be alive and look forward to another year of adventure, opportunity wonder, fun and opportunities for gratitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment